Examinarium is an electronic examination system that allows students to complete examinations whenever they choose. Teachers create the examinations in the system in advance. The examination takes place in a separate examination facility equipped with a computer and a recording camera surveillance system. The facilities are also subject to random inspections. Examinarium exams are particularly suitable for literature exams, maturity tests and personal exams, but they also offer a good alternative for the traditional classroom exams. Examinarium makes studies more flexible and releases the teacher from the duty of organising separate examination events throughout the academic year.
Examination facilities at the University of Helsinki:
Aleksandria 4th floor, 16 places
Aleksandria basement, K133, 16 places
Available to all faculties: Accessible exam room (1 seat), available for special needs
Biocenter 1, 4th floor, 8 places
Chemicum 1st floor, A122, 12 places
Biomedicum 2B sh15, 16 places
University Consortium, 1 seat
Niemi campus, 1 seat
Considering the rate of use, the exam rooms’ capacity is good. At best, on an ordinary weekday, the exam facilities have sufficient capacity for 130 three-hour exams and many shorter exams. The exam facilities are open at most in accordance with the opening hours of the buildings (some also during evenings and weekends).
The exam procedure in Examinarium
- The teacher creates the exam in the system and publishes it (please note that the study unit must already be created in Oodi).
- The student signs up for the exam or course in Oodi in accordance with the faculty’s usual procedures. After this, they can reserve a place in the exam system. The student receives a confirmation e-mail once they have successfully reserved a place for an exam.
- The student takes the exam in an exam facility.
- The teacher assesses the exam in the exam system (the teachers receive a weekly message from the system stating the names of students who have signed up for an exam and exams that need to be assessed).
- The student receives an e-mail with feedback and their exam grade
Further information and support for organising exams through Examinarium:
Examinarium user instructions
University of Helsinki exam services: