How can I modify an existing course or exam into distance teaching?
The instruction belongs to the following themes
Search for degree programme
Master's and Licentiate's Programmes
Specialist training programmes
Contact teaching and supervision at the University of Helsinki can be replaced by alternative methods, such as online teaching, home exams or written learning assignments. Since the situation changes unexpectedly and rapidly, the University may not be able to provide assistance in designing and executing the distance teaching choices you have made.
When choosing the teaching and learning methods for your course, bear in mind the following basic pedagogical principles:
- The curriculum of the degree programme, particularly the learning objectives set for the course are taken into account.
- The teaching programme of the degree programme, particularly the teaching and learning methods set for the course are taken into account.
- The course arrangements, content, teaching and assessment methods and course materials should promote the attainment of the learning goals set for the course and help make the study experience meaningful.
- The course arrangements will guide the student towards constructing and analysing information instead of repeating it.
- Successful distance teaching will enable interaction between students.
- The workload required of the student must correspond to the credits set for the course. Please note that distance learning is more demanding for students than contact teaching. Students are under considerable strain due to the exceptional situation. See here for instructions on student’s workload and study credits.
Inform your students about teaching and learning arrangements through the course page. You will find the instructions on using the course page here. As with Moodle, you can distribute course assignments and instructions on how to complete the course through your page. If your course is offered through the Open University, agree on how to inform your students with the specialist in charge of your course.