How can I modify an existing course or exam into distance teaching?
Search for degree programme
Master's and Licentiate's Programmes
Specialist training programmes
The coronavirus crisis management team at the University of Helsinki recommends remote teaching and supervision for the fall term 2020 and spring term 2021. Please follow the updated instructions of your degree programme, faculty and the University on the UH homepage and on the Instructions for teaching website.
Contact teaching and supervision at the University of Helsinki can be replaced by alternative methods, such as online teaching, home exams or written learning assignments. You are responsible for deciding which pedagogical solutions work best for your purposes and the course you’re teaching. Since the situation changes unexpectedly and rapidly, the University may not be able to provide assistance in designing and executing the distance teaching choices you have made.
When choosing the teaching and learning methods for your course, bear in mind the following basic pedagogical principles:
- The curriculum of the degree programme, particularly the learning objectives set for the course are taken into account.
- The course arrangements, content, teaching and assessment methods and course materials should promote the attainment of the learning goals set for the course and help make the study experience meaningful.
- The course arrangements will guide the student towards constructing and analysing information instead of repeating it.
- Successful distance teaching will enable interaction between students.
- The workload required of the student must correspond to the credits set for the course. Please note that distance learning is more demanding for students than contact teaching. Students are under considerable strain due to the exceptional situation. See here for instructions on student’s workload and study credits.
When you make changes in the teaching and studying arrangements in your course, please do the following:
- Inform the planning officer or specialist (koulutussuunnittelija) of your degree programme about the changes. You can find their contact details on Flamma, at your own unit's service team page. If your course is organized through the Open University, please contact the educational specialist (koulutusasiantuntija) of your discipline.
- Inform your students about the new teaching and learning arrangements through the course page. You will find the instructions on using the course page here. As with Moodle, you can distribute course assignments and instructions on how to complete the course through your page. If your course is offered through the Open University, agree on how to inform your students with the specialist in charge of your course.